September 29, 2011

ebi nigiri baby sushi costume

Ok, my fears came true. I'm sick. Actually, the whole family is sick. Travis came home from work early yesterday, and took the day off today too. We're all feeling quite under the weather. Thank goodness for dayquil/nyquil, but poor little lady she only gets baby tylenol to help her feel better.

To add insult to injury I'm also knee deep in dressmaking which needs to be finished by the end of the weekend. Hopefully I can churn out 2 more dresses this evening after Elle is down and before my nightly nyquil coma begins.

I already have clothing orders lined up for production in October, but I need to schedule in some time to make Ella's Halloween costume. Last year I wanted to make her my version of the Owl Costume from Pottery Barn, but I got over zealous on the time management for that project and scrapped it pretty quick. Instead I made my little lady a sushi roll! Ebi Nigiri to be exact, and complete with soy sauce/wasabi/ginger headband. She was definitely the cutest thing on the block that year. And the costume was SO simple make.

Here's a rundown of the project.

I used a white onesie and white leggings for the "white rice" portion of the costume.

For the "raw fish" part I just made a small orange pillow (basic orange rectangle lightly stuffed with polyfil) and sewed thin white twill tape to one side in a "v" pattern (you could use white ribbon as well), this served as the lines in the "fish". Then I attached the "pillow" to the costume by sewing/tacking the corners to the back of the onesie.

The green ribbon was used as the "seaweed wrapper". You can attach it to the fish portion (sew/glue it on) or just make a belt out of it and attach velcro in the front so that it is adjustable to baby's tummy.

For the headband I just cut out a grass shape of felt, and hot glued it to a white headband. Then I emptied a package of soy sauce and glued it to the "grass" along with makeshift  green felt wasabi ball and pink ginger flower. 

That's it! It's really not that hard. If you eat sushi you know what these things look like, and felt is very easy to work with. If anyone has any more detailed questions feel free to leave them in the comments and I'll try to better explain how I made the costume. It was darling on a baby, easy to get on them and off them too, and could be adapted to other sizes easily.



Now to decide what costume I'm going to make her this year, I have a few ideas already...I'll share them soon!





Linking up to this great blog.

2 comments:

  1. hilarious! i LOVE it. :)
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you make the wasabi and ginger?

    ReplyDelete